Tips and Tricks in the Grossman School of Business

Hey Everyone! My name is Emily Wascura and I am taking over the Peer Mentor Blog for this post! I am a senior in the Grossman School of Business with a concentration in Marketing and a theme in Global Business. I know that when I came into UVM 3 years ago, that life would be different, and it’s taken me until my senior year to really know the ins and outs of the business buildings. Here are some of just a few of my tips and tricks that I have discovered and wanted to share with other students.

1.) Study Spots

Depends on how you like to study. If you’re like me and need to spread out on a table (and not ashamed to do so) my favorite place to do work was in the Library at one of the study booths on the landing on the 2nd floor. There was enough noise for me to block out to focus, but also an outlet for my laptop and space to spread out all of my papers. Another great option, was when a friend of mine and I would go to the library and get a study room for 2 hours and then just sit in the same room and not talk to each other, and just get work done. However, once I became a Junior and now a senior my life in no longer on that side of campus, and the study rooms were always booked in the library because other students were using them.

However, now we have our own break out study rooms in Ifshin, that also (for now) don’t need to be reserved. Those are also amazing spaces to meet with groups but also to work by yourself on the weekends. They are on a first come first served basis, and just be mindful of the signs posted next to the doors of each room in case they are reserved for a certain time.

The business building tends to empty out on the weekends, but if you don’t want to go to the over-crowded library, the bottom level of Kalkin is a great place to study. Just be careful around mid-term season, because some professors reserve rooms for study sessions before exams.

If you are more the type of person who like to be comfy and doesn’t like to sit at a table, on the second and third floors of Kalkin, there are comfortable red sofas, but all we ask are please no shoes on the sofas. We do have alums and important leaders on campus and in the Burlington community come through our building, so we want to treat our furniture with respect.

2.) FREE PRINTING

Printing is expensive. Between paying for paper and ink, it sometimes is a lot of money to pay at once to have the ability to print. Instead of maintaining your own printer or fighting over the printers that are heavily used in the library that you have to pay for, students in Grossman get 180 pages of printing every month. On the second floor of Ifshin, there are not 1 but 3 rooms of computers when you can do homework, or just stop in to print. As a senior I have not once run out of printing. Just log on to the computers with your NetID and Password and you’re all set to start printing. It’s also really nice, because if you’re a Mac user, but a professor is requiring you to use the PC version of Excel, you can just go into the computer lab and use the PCs in there. It’s also looks really good for employers if you can use both PC and Mac operating systems.

3.) Computer Help

On the 2nd floor of Kalkin is the home to Nick Gingrow and Matt Parisi. They are the amazing staff that keeps all of the computers and technical components running and updated in the Grossman School of Business. When I needed software downloaded onto my computer I took my computer to them and they downloaded what I needed. They also recommended that I get a larger internal hard drive, so I bought one that Nick recommended off of Amazon and just took my computer and the new hard drive on a Friday afternoon, and within a couple of hours and no out of pocket costs for labor, I had a new and larger hard-drive. Both Nick and Matt are great for tech help, and they’re my first stop for any hardware issues. Once again we’re lucky because we don’t have to take it to the UVM Tech department, we have our own independent and just as reliable team here in the Grossman School of Business.

4.) Opportunities

The alumni from the Grossman School of Business LOVE to connect with current students. Even if you’re a first year or a sophomore it is much easier to stay ahead of the game and going to networking events, even if you have no clue what you want to do. It’s great to start making connections and getting your name out there.

Every winter the UVM Career Center hosts evening networking events all over the country. These are not just Business Specific, but UVM as a whole. My first winter break as a first year I thought it would be a good idea to go into New York City for an evening and meet with different UVM alums (including those from Grossman) to just see what I could do with a UVM degree. I met with alums who majored in Music, Engineering, Education, Business. They all were different and unique people that all had their love of UVM in common. They were super impressed with me being a first year. I was the only one and there were seniors and juniors looking for jobs and internships, but I was just there to explore and to make connections. Every time there is a networking event on campus, it’s a great way to just explore what is out there for UVM students, even if you’re not looking for a job or an internship right away.

5.) Getting into the building

Like most buildings on campus after a certain hour and on weekends, academic buildings are locked. However, if you are a business student you have 24/7 access to Kalkin and Ifshin by just using your Cat-Card. It’s a great place to hang out and do homework, or to get out of your room and find a new favorite study spot. I know I feel really lucky that I have a space that I can call home. There are so many majors at UVM that don’t have their own buildings, so we are really lucky that we have a place that we can call home.

These are just some of the tips and tricks that I have discovered and most people don’t realize of utilize the majority of the resources that the business school offers us students.

If you have any other questions or want any more advice, stop into Peer Mentor Drop-in Hours every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9-11 am and then 1-3 pm! Either myself or my other peer mentors would be happy to answer any of your questions, or to just say hi, or send us an email if you can’t stop into office hours. You can find all of us at https://gsbcareers.uvm.edu/clubs/peer-mentor-program/

By Emily Wascura
Emily Wascura Peer Mentor Emily Wascura