Choosing My Theme & Concentration with Emily Wascura

Read below to learn how Grossman School of Business, Peer Mentor, Emily Wascura chose her Theme and Concentration.  

When I was looking at colleges I asked my mom “I like so many different things, music, graphic design, but also the logic behind strategy, and I like psychology and asking the questions ‘why?’ Mom, what can I do with all of these interests?” She replied “Marketing”. From that day, I haven’t looked back.

Coming into the business school, I knew marketing from the beginning, but I wanted something that can be applied anywhere, and be as general as possible. So I chose global business. Coming in 4 years ago, I had no idea where I was going to be at graduation and what I would be doing, and I knew I was really interested in cultures, so I figure global business was the right choice. However, some of my favorite classes in the business school have been my people management classes, but I didn’t know that at the time, so looking back, I might have switched to Entrepreneurship and taken more classes about how to actually manage people and the psychology behind it (which are just some of the classes that are within that theme). Do I regret my global business theme, absolutely not, because I got the global business experience in the classroom, and had the experience managing people in my involvement outside of the classroom.

My favorite things about marketing is how everything builds upon each other. In every course, I’ve learned about the 4P’s of marketing (Product, Placement, Positions, and Price), however, in each of my classes I’ve applied it to different ideas and industries. My favorite marketing class was Luxury Brand Management, which I took while I was studying abroad. I got to learn more about the luxury brand market (cars, pens, fashion, credit cards). Grossman offers a lot of classes, but if I didn’t study abroad I wouldn’t have expanded my knowledge and had a fun and interesting class. My favorite global business (theme) course is BSAD 127 that I’m currently taking. I have a lot of interest in the intersection of economics, political science, and business, and this class is exactly that. It might be at 8:30am on Mondays and Wednesdays, but for me personally it’s worth getting out of bed to go to class, because I am generally interested in the subject and what new things we’re going to talk about/ bring up in discussion.

I had one internship the summer before my senior year, and I worked with a for-profit Chinese Education Company (Study Group). Essentially, I was brought on to travel across China (with no knowledge of language or culture) to share my experience as a UVM student to perspective students wishing to go through UVM’s Global Gateway Program. All the classes I’ve taken in Grossman prepared me for this internship. Every class I have taken incorporated the knowledge of being open to new ideas, cultures, and relationships, and how to look beyond yourself and see, realize, and be open the new and foreign cultures around you. Those skills helped me so much in my internship.

By Amanda Simpfenderfer
Amanda Simpfenderfer Amanda Simpfenderfer