The summer research experience is a ten-week residential program where undergraduate fellows will conduct research projects with faculty mentors from the UVM Complex Systems Center. Fellos will be expected to spend nine weeks in Burlington, Vermont at the University of Vermont with the Complex Systems Center faculty and one in Amherst, Massachusetts with the MassMutual Data Science team, a unique experience to work in both an academic and industry setting. Research projects that will be conducted through the MassMutual Center of Excellence include study in the following areas:
- Longevity and wellness, including the link between physical and financial health and environmental impacts on wellness
- Algorithmic fairness, accountability and transparency, which will encompass alternative underwriting data, methods for controlling bias and data ethics.
- Measurement methodologies for large scale social systems, covering such topics as macroeconomic events, mortality risk and social cohesion, among others.
- Computational Finance.
Summer Intern Expectations
- A one page abstract of your research project by June 19
- A final Paper: (5-10 page in length) in the format for a journal you would aim to publish in. Due August 14th at Midnight
- Final Presentation: 30 minute talk presented to the CoE team on August 14th
Application Deadline: March, 23, 2020
More Information: https://vermontcomplexsystems.org/events/SummerREU/
Eligibility: Undergraduates currently enrolled in a degree program leading to a bachelor’s degree from any country.
For additional information please contact email@example.com