Opportunity Awaits at Altus Group!
Altus Group is currently looking for a new Real Estate Valuation Analyst to join our Chicago, IL office in our Advisory, Altus Analytics division. In this position, you will gain knowledge and experience in the business of appraisal, appraisal review and appraisal management for all property types. This is an exciting opportunity for you to learn the basic sub-property type attributes and how location and market trends impact rent and expenses. You will also learn how to set up and manage the client workflow process; quarterly DataExchange setup, invoicing, appraiser/client call setup, engagement letter organization, and additional data requests from appraisers and clients. Finally, you will learn how to analyze an Income and Expense statement; research sale and lease comparables and apply adjustments to the subject property; read leases to understand tenant recovery structures; and build cash flows.
- Appraisal Management: Learn and handle the administrative tasks that drive the Altus/client process and ultimately the relationships; quarterly DataExchange Setup, appraiser/client call scheduling, quarterly invoicing, engagement letter organization between clients and third-party appraisers. Analysts learn the process and why we are doing what are doing at Altus. Learn to prepare a market analysis for the subject property, which includes gathering and analyzing data about the subject’s market and submarket, and determining market rent based on recent leases at comparable properties and the subject’s recent leasing. Analysts learn to apply judgement and gain knowledge on data gathering and learn to determine reasonable valuation assumptions such as market rent and market rent growth. This analysis is one of the key components in the subject’s valuation analysis.
- Appraisal: Learn to prepare cash flow models using ARGUS DCF, DYNA, or AE. Analysts use factual data provided by Clients (rent rolls, operating statements, tenant sales, and various other financial information) on the subject property to learn the preparation of cash flow models. Learn to prepare the Sales Comparison and Cost approaches for the appraisal report, which includes researching recent sale transactions, and completing a replacement cost estimate using Marshall and Swift data.
- Appraisal Review: Learn to review third party appraisal reports as part of the valuation management process, which includes reviewing the ARGUS Enterprise cash flow model for factual and market assumptions, reviewing the appraisal reports, and comparing the valuation metrics to the benchmark data. Learn to use (of) best judgement and knowledge to determine the reasonableness of the valuation and ensure that the appraisal reports are in compliance with USPAP and State regulations.
- Training and Professional Development: Complete the On-Boarding Training as outlined by the Professional Development Flight Plan (Core Competency Training, Trainee Courses (Business Practices and Ethics & USPAP & Basic Appraisal Principles and Procedures), become ARGUS Certified; build awareness of Due Diligence for client’s acquisitions.
- University or college degree in Real Estate, Finance, or related field with a minimum 3.2 GPA
- Internship experience within the CRE industry is an asset
- ARGUS certified is an asset
- Working knowledge of Excel (v-lookups, pivot tables)
- Exposure to business writing
- Can complete end to end appraisal review
- Ability to proactively communicate (i.e. when behind on deliverables or seeking assistance)
- Experience working independently or within a team environment setting in a professional or academic setting
Who we are
Altus Group is a leading provider of independent advisory services, software and data solutions to the global commercial real estate industry. Our divisions, Altus Analytics, and Altus Expert Services, reflect decades of experience, a range of expertise and technology-enabled capabilities. Our solutions empower clients to analyze, gain market insight and recognize value on their real estate investments. Headquartered in Canada, we have approximately 2,500 employees around the world, with operations in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
We are at the center of what drives the real estate industry and continue to break ground every day with innovative solutions and best practices that touch every aspect of the real estate life cycle.
Need any more reasons to join Altus?
In 2005, we started with 400 employees and have grown exponentially to over 2,500 around the globe today. Altus Group employees don’t see boundaries, they see opportunity. They deliver results for our clients and our company and are recognized and rewarded for the value they create. This is an opportunity to work on multiple projects that encompass many industries, geographic reach, and high profile design.
At Altus, we want you to realize your potential. We value collaboration and knowledge sharing of best practices. We support professional growth and we actively seek out ideas. This is the place to present the newest research, to introduce the coolest tech, and see it come to fruition and be applied. Your work will make a difference.
Altus Group isn’t just about the amazing work we do. We work hard to create a dynamic company culture that reflects the values of our employees and what motivates them individually and as a team:
Altus Cares - We are always seeking ways to give back to our communities, and support causes important to our employees. We are actively involved in local charity work and we believe in laying the groundwork for a more prosperous future. Our personal highlight is our involvement with Ronald McDonald house in four different countries where we volunteer every September as a company.
Education - We believe our employees represent the best this industry has to offer and we want to reflect their commitment to education and continued learning.
At Altus Group, we are proud to say that many of our teams are comprised of members who have been here five years or longer. We think that speaks volumes about our atmosphere and our people.
Opportunity awaits - come realize your potential at Altus Group!