The 101ST PGA Championship is seeking hard working and team oriented individuals, to join our 2019 PGA Championship operations team. This select 23-25 person team of Operations Assistants will play a vital role in executing one of the most prominent sporting events in the world. The PGA of America is the world’s largest working sports organization, and this position offers the opportunity to meet and work with its various representatives.
The Operations Assistants will help the 2019 PGA Championship Operations Staff in the construction, daily operation and deconstruction of the Championship. While on-site at Bethpage Black, you will get a “behind the scenes glimpse” of a major golf championship. This position requires a strong work ethic, since most of the jobs are labor intensive. Daily tasks include, but are not limited to: trailer placement, furniture distribution, floral maintenance, painting, wind screening, organizing and unloading deliveries and assisting vendors.
A successful Championship is dependent upon your willingness to learn, ability to make informed decisions and cooperatively working as a team. Individuals must be able to work in a fast-paced and stressful environment. This is a deadline-driven event, and you must be able to work long hours, outdoors, and weekends. It is imperative to act professionally because you will represent the 2019 PGA Championship staff.
This is a paid position, and all Operations Assistants will be employed on a temporary basis through an outside agency, and are not employees of the PGA of America. All applicants must pass a background check, and provide their own transportation. A PGA housing option will be offered if needed. Lunch, beverages and Championship uniforms will be provided for each working day.
The PGA of America is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. DFWP.
THE PGA OF AMERICA
The PGA of America, founded in 1916, is the largest working sports organization in the world, comprised of over 28,000 dedicated professionals. The PGA of America has enhanced its leadership position through its premier spectator events, world-class education and training programs and significant philanthropic outreach initiatives.
Bethpage Black is widely regarded as one of the finest courses in the northeastern United States. It has hosted numerous tournaments over the years, but most notably the U.S. Open in 2002 & 2009 as well as the Barclays in 2012 & 2016. Along with the 101st PGA Championship, it is also the future site of the 2024 Ryder Cup
- Qualifications - at least 18 years of age, pursuing or completed bachelors degree, interested in sport/golf industry
- Supervisor title - 2019 PGA Championship Operations Coordinator
- Specific Job Duties - Assist in the construction, daily operation and deconstruction of championship.
- Daily tasks include but not limited to trailer placement, furniture distribution, floral maintenance, painting, wind screening, organizing and unloading deliveries and assisting vendors as needed.
- Learning outcomes - behind the scenes on what it takes to plan and execute a major golf championship
- Training the intern will receive - knowledge and experience. Gain valuable team building skills, meeting deadlines, communication skills.
- Hours per week - 40 but varies around event. Some weekends.